Trials and Tribulations of being a working Mom

Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2014

What are GMO Foods and why should you avoid them.

   This is my personal journey about GMO's and I am learning and researching right along with those of you on this journey with me, so please click on the sources I provide in this blog to study and understand both sides of GMO's. Understand I am not here to make a judgement call I am here to give sources with facts from both sides of the argument along with my choice to remove them and how I am going to do that. Happy reading!


             What are GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) ??????????????????????????

Biotechnology in plant agriculture has come to mean the process of intentionally making a copy of a gene for a desired trait from one plant or organism and using it in another plant. source-http://gmoanswers.com/explore


which basically means the DNA has been changed of a specific organism. So why do Farmer's use them?

Farmers choose seeds based on what is best for their farms, market demand and local growing environments.  Farmers select GMOs to reduce yield loss or crop damage from weeds, diseases, and insects, as well as from extreme weather conditions, such as drought. Farmers choose to use GMOs to reduce the impact of agriculture on their environment and their costs — by applying pesticides in more targeted ways, for example. Farmers have also used GMOs to save a crop – such as papaya from Hawaii — that was being threatened by a disease.


Why do we care:

There are eight crops currently commercially available that are from GMO seeds in America- they are:
Cotton
Corn (field and sweet)
Soybeans
Canola
Alfafa
Sugar beets
Papaya
Squash

An even though government and scientific studies have been published saying things like, there are no health risks and or connections to disease. Many people with whom have removed GMO's from their diets are losing weight, not needing medications etc. It is a highly controversial subject. I'm not here to argue I'm here to share what they are and explain my journey on removing them from my diet and how you can to. Below you will find many websites to utilize in preparing for this journey.

http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/ This is a great source to see what processed foods have GMO's, what they are, how to avoid them. As well as how to find Non GMO Food choices which includes retailers and verified restaurants -I found both of these resources to be very helpful!

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/food-safety.aspx This is another great source for doing your homework to learn more about GMO's.

Please feel free to comment feedback below I am excited to learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment